Friday, January 30, 2009

Rafa Wins A Classic And I Missed It

The toughest thing about the Australian Open is the time difference, no question about it. The men's semifinal match, not to mention the Williams sisters in the doubles final, started at 12:30 this AM. No way I can stay up for that, and unfortunately I forgot to set my DVR.
Turns out I missed, not only the Venus and Serena taking the doubles championship, but also one of the greatest singles matches in Australian Open history. Fernando Verdasco and Rafael Nadal slugged it out for nearly 5 hours and 30 minutes, with Rafa outlasting the reinvigorated and game Verdasco 6-4 in the 5th set.
I've got the replay on Tennis Channel as I write this and the level of play is really high, its just not the same when you know who won. Gonna miss tonight's women's final between Serena Williams and Dinara Safina as well, since we're celebrating The Jess' birthday party. Rafa and Roger Federer will square off Sunday starting at 12:30 AM, so the DVR will be set, and The Jess and I will have some breakfast and a pre-Super Bowl Grand Slam final with the renewal of one of sports' greatest rivalries.

No comments: