Friday, August 1, 2008

The Green Dream

I was lying in bed last Sunday night getting my mind right for the work week when I thought "what would happen if I mixed some gin, lime, basil and sugar together? Would it be good? Would I rejoice or would it be heaved against the wall?" I had just bought fresh lime from the farmer's market and The Jess is growing basil outside, so why not.
After work I repaired to the mixing lab and got to work. I had made a batch of simple syrup some time ago which has been resting quietly in the fridge, so that came out. I got some robust, fragrant basil leaves, and quartered the lime.
I muddled, shook, mixed and tasted, as did The Jess. We looked at each other and knew it was back to the drawing board.
It took a bit of finagling, but what came out of the lab was one seriously delicious beverage I call The Green Dream. Here's the official breakdown

The Green Dream
1.5 oz Tanqueray Ten gin
3 fresh basil leaves, finely minced
one small fresh lime, quartered
1.5 teaspoons simple syrup (note: my simple syrup is not particularly sweet, so you may need to vary this ingredient depending on your syrup and personal tastes)

In glass, muddle lime, basil and syrup. When I say muddle, I really mean MUDDLE! Like put your back into it! You want to extract as much of the oils from the basil as possible.
Strain into shaker already filled with crushed ice
Add gin
Shake and strain into chilled martini glass. Serve up with small basil leave floated on top for garnish.

Great spice from the gin, basil up front, then a nice limey-sweet finish. We actually paired this beauty with some amazing moussaka The Jess whipped up and it was perfect! I really will try to start adding pics, I get so excited when the drinks are ready, I forget.

1 comment:

Matthew Smith said...

nice Mark!

I've been using the mint from our garden to make fresh mojitos and/or Moroccan mint tea, but had not yet thought to get libatiously creative w/ my basil. Good show mate! I'll be sure to let you know how my Green Dreams turn out! Skål!