Saturday, May 17, 2008

Blogging the Civil War

The loyal reader of this blog has probably been following along, waiting for something, anything that has to do with the Civil War. It's quite strange for me because the Civil War is a consuming interest of mine. I love reading about it, studying it, and discussing it with similarly interested folks. I figured when I started this blog, my thoughts on the war itself, books I'm reading, and experiences I've had chatting with friends, online, or at the San Diego Civil War Roundtable would come issuing forth.
This hasn't been the case, and I think it's because I'm still trying to define a niche for myself in how I read and interpret the war. The last few years have been spent in active study of campaign histories, primarily in the Eastern Theater. Now I'm transitioning into two very different subjects: about how the war is thought of in contemporary culture focusing on the effect of the Lost Cause mythology and political and social trends in America in the years between the Mexican-American War of 1848 and the start of the Civil War.
I promise you, dear reader, that we will have ample opportunity to get into this subject, it's just ripening away in my mind. I've also got a short story in the works that should be fun. In the meantime, there's just that much more time for tennis, mixology, and coffee roasting!

No comments: